Health and Nutrition

Central Romana has been providing health services to its employees since the year 1912, when the company was founded. The health program includes a modern three-level hospital located in La Romana, two Medical Subcenters located in the agricultural zone, ambulance services, and mobile medical units that visit sugarcane communities, among other services.

In terms of nutrition, the company dedicates thousands of hectares of land to a food production program exclusively for its employees. This program enables them to purchase various products weekly at prices well below the local market rates.

The Central Romana Medical Center is a modern three-level hospital constructed at a cost of RD$1,200 million pesos. It features 84 beds distributed among comfortable private and semi-private rooms, four surgery rooms equipped with state-of-the-art medical equipment, including the Olympus Endo Alpha or Smart Operating Room system for high-tech general and laparoscopic surgery. Additionally, there are two areas for intensive and coronary care with wireless telemetry and a specialized unit for burn patients with immersion tubs.

The Medical Center includes a Gynecology-Obstetrics and Newborn department with post-natal intensive care, a complete clinical laboratory, and an emergency area. It also houses a 24-hour pharmacy and a cafeteria.

The entire healthcare system of the hospital is supported by ambulance services, featuring three modern units for patient transport. Each ambulance is assigned a trained paramedic and is equipped with an automatic external defibrillator (AED).

Annually, Central Romana Hospital collaborates with various foreign and national foundations, such as Healing the Children and Operation Smile, to host coordinated medical missions. These missions bring renowned American doctors to the country to perform free general and pediatric surgical interventions in the fields of ophthalmology, otolaryngology, urology, and specialties in hand plastic surgeries and other corrective practices.

Connected to the general hospital is a modern medical imaging center called Diagnóstica Social, where services such as tomography, mammography, bone densitometry, non-encapsulated magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), magnification, and other delicate studies requiring advanced technology are conducted.

Additionally, the company’s healthcare system includes two medical subcenters located in the agricultural divisions of Lechugas and Baiguá. These subcenters receive hundreds of patients daily, providing free medical services, including medications.

Moreover, four fully equipped Mobile Medical Units operate daily in the agricultural communities, offering preventive medicine and providing free assistance with trained medical personnel.

Another unit is the Dental Unit, primarily dedicated to attending to the children of workers residing in the fields. More than 120 children are attended to weekly. All these medical services are provided at no cost to the workers.

A daily Fumigation Program is also conducted using backpack sprayers and foggers to prevent dengue and chikungunya.

Similarly, a Water Chlorination Program is implemented to focus on preventing cholera and other diseases in the agricultural areas. This program is carried out in all the “bateyes” where workers and their families reside.

Central Romana allocates thousands of hectares of land to a food production program exclusively for its employees. This program enables them to acquire various food items weekly at prices significantly below the local market rates. The available products include plantains, yams, green beans, eggplants, carrots, sweet potatoes, chili peppers, tomatoes, and assorted fruits. Additionally, it facilitates the acquisition of beef, pork, and processed products such as sausages and cheeses.

Workers purchase thousands of quintals of these products through this program each week. Of these items, 60% is distributed in the agricultural zone, and the remaining 40% in the industrial zone.

Furthermore, through the Social Promotion Department, the company implements a nutritious program for children and TB patients in the sugarcane area based on eggs and quail meat due to their high protein content. These products are produced on a company farm.